When you’re laying down on the operating table for surgery, the last thing you want the doctor to do is make a serious mistake. During surgery, these medical personnel must sometimes make quick decisions. When an error does occur, the patient can suffer debilitating injuries.
Common causes for surgical errors include:
- Poor communication
- Insufficient planning
- Substance abuse
- Improper work process
Types of Surgical Errors
We understand how difficult surgery can be. There are many ways a surgery can go wrong, which is why surgeons, nurses, anesthesiologists and other healthcare providers must take extensive precautions to ensure the operation goes according to plan. While a patient must be aware of the risk they are taking, there are several instances where negligence clearly occurred.
The common types of surgical errors include:
- Negligent use of surgical tools
- Negligent sanitary preparation
- Negligently leaving surgical instruments, towels or sponges in the patient
- Negligent damage body parts not involved in the surgery
- Misread or ignored lab results
- Inattentive doctors or staff
- Discharge a patient prematurely
- Failure to understand patient’s medical history
- Perform surgery on wrong body part
- Perform unnecessary surgery
- Failure to devise proper surgical plan
- Unnecessarily delay surgery
Free Consultation To Discuss Your Case
If you have suffered an injury due to a surgical mistake, our Birmingham medical malpractice attorneys are capable of recovering the compensation you need. At Fischer & Associates, LLC, our experienced and reliable attorneys will conduct a thorough investigation into your case by gathering witness accounts and the necessary evidence to provide you with aggressive and personalized representation in court.
Contact us today and request your free case evaluation.