What to Do After a Car Accident

If you have just been in an accident caused by another driver’s negligence, you will most likely experience mental shock and confusion in addition to any physical trauma you have sustained. If you can focus in the immediate aftermath and take some proactive steps you may have a much easier time recovering the financial compensation you as the victim are entitled to. A Birmingham personal injury attorney can review these details of your case with you in order to put a strong case together.

  • First of all, you are legally obligated to remain on the scene of the accident. You should try to move your car onto the shoulder of the street if possible.
  • Call the police to the scene, even if no one is injured. Police can file an accident report which you should ask for a copy of. Call for an ambulance for anyone who is injured.
  • You need to exchange information with everyone involved in the accident and you should do so without admitting any fault or apologizing.
  • You are to provide other parties with you name, address, driver’s license number, vehicle registration number, name and current address of each passenger in your vehicle.
  • Complete the SR-13 form that the responding officer will provide you with and file this with the Drivers License Division, Motor Vehicle Safety Responsibility Unit within 30 days.
  • Try and take photographs of the accident scene including damage to your property and injuries you have sustained and provide these to your attorney.
  • Seek immediate medical attention—follow through with doctor or therapy visits as advised and maintain a record of your doctors and list of medications.
  • Obtain a copy of your Alabama Uniform Traffic Accident Report which should be available within 3 to 5 days from the police department in your municipality.

You should refrain from speaking with the other driver’s insurer after the accident since they can twist your words to make you appear to be at fault for the accident. You are under no obligation to provide any information to another driver’s insurance company.

Neither should you sign a medical release form which can give the other party access to your past medical records.

Talk with our firm after you have been injured in an accident—(866) 262-2232!